Tuesday, March 6, 2012

AMERICAN IDOL 2012: WHAT THE TOP 13 SHOULD SING FOR STEVIE/WHITNEY WEEK


The top 13 has been formed, thanks to your votes, and to the judges' wildcards. Well, first thing's first, I'm disappointed that some of the good ones didn't make it, but I guess everyone in the top 13 did a good job to secure their spot, so I'm really happy for all of them.

So next week, the guys will be honoring Stevie Wonder, while the girls will pay tribute to Whitney Houston.

BOYS:

I'll be suggesting for the guys first, and when you talk about covering a Stevie song, you shouldn't sing "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours," or "For Once in my life" because they are two hard songs to cover, you should be original or it will only sound karaoke. Now let's start.

  • Joshua Ledet - "Superstition" - Now before anyone would say anything, I know this song is so overused, but I just want Joshua to pull it off, and this is a great song that he can use to move around the stage, and get everybody to stand up and move on their seats. Joshua has a great voice, all he needs now is the entertainment value.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CFuCYNx-1g
  • Jeremy Rosado - No favoritism, I think he can sing anything. He has a voice that is flexible to almost any song, so I'm not gonna pick for him, I'll just let him do the picking, and let him deliver as best as he could the way he did it in his Wildcard performance.
  • Jermaine Jones - anything that's not upbeat - I don't know which Stevie song fits this big guy, but whatever that song is, I'm sure it's not an upbeat song. I'm suggesting that he should never take on an upbeat song, because his voice is simply just for slow, emotiuonal, ballad.
  • DeAndre Brackensick - "We Can Work It Out" - He can definitely sing the whole song in flasetto. I think he can nail this one, not only that, I think America can start appreciating his range with this song. It's an up-tempo song and I know he can definitely work it out with America. If ever he's not gonna pick this song, I hope he's gonna pick an upbeat one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB24z00ajU4
  • Colton Dixon - "Living for the City" - We will see if this guy can really can rock it out, and the perfect song to show that is "Living for the City." This guy doesn't need to change anything yet, because what he's doing is still selling, so let's stick to what he can do. If they're allowed to take on songs not originally by Stevie Wonder, I think he can sing "Light My Fire" which originated from The Doors, and was only covered by Steveie Wonder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc0XEw4m-3w
  • Heejun Han - "Heaven Help us All" or "Part-Time Lover" - I think Heejun will really have a hard time picking his song this week, and I have to say that he can sing "Heaven Help Us All" but I'm not sure with the song whether he can nail it, and make it his own, but I'm sure, with "Part-Time Lover" he can make everyone move, and sing along with him. Both songs can showcase his soulful and buttery voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN2AdOjI4FI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gOLnLz9KjY
  • Phillip Phillips - "Overjoyed" - If it's Phillip, he can take on any song, and make it his own. He has one of the unique voices in the competition, and with a known Stevie song, I think he can take America along with him while he sings this very beautiful song. Unlike the two songs I mentioned before I started suggesting, this song wouldn't sound karaoke though it will, for others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkWQTAU3JzI

GIRLS:

Now, let's go with Whitney Houston songs for the girls.
  • Jessica Sanchez - "I Will Always Love You" - Just the perfect voice for the theme this week. Jessica Sanchez definitely can sing any Whitney song, she can go slow, she can go fast, she can almost do everything with her voie. With that, I have to say that she doesn't have to hold back, and she should sing "I Will Always Love You" and really hit it, own it, and win over America. One of the youngest contestants this year, but also one of the contestants with the biggest, greatest voices.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWTaaS7LdU&ob=av2n
  • Shannon Magrane - "Greatest Love of All" - Last week, she had us with her very inspiring song, and this week, I think she can continue inspiring us with one of Whitney's golden records, "Greatest Love of All." This girl has the ability to really connect with a song, and I know that she will be able to get into our hearts everytime she sings something inspirational.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYzlVDlE72w&ob=av2e
  • Skylar Laine - "Where do Brokenhearts Go" - I don't really know which song should this girl sing, but if she could do a country twist to "Where Do Brokenhearts Go," it will defintely sound like her. She can also make the song upbeat and rock it out just like what she did last week. This girl is really a Tina Turner mixed with Reba. She also has one of the personalities in the competition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diToYaNJadk
  • Erika Van Pelt - "Queen of the Night" - This girl can really rock it our in every performance she does, and America has to start appreciating that. She almost went home last week, but with her really beautiful, rockin' voice, the judges decided to save her. I think this song can definitely give justice to her voice, and I think this song will make America appreciate what this girl really can do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0hQEw4MXpY
  • Elise Testone - "Heartbreak Hotel" - With one of the greatest voice in the competition, I think Elise Testone can definitely take on a song which perfectly fits her voice. She should really connect with the song and show everyone what other things she has there. She should be careful not to lose her tone, and she should also try to not shake things up when she gets into a song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9wc7CE05g4
  • Hollie Cavanagh - "I Have Nothing" - Hollie showed us her range last week, and with that, I think she's ready to take on a big song like this one. It's an overused song, but hopefully, Hollie can make it her own, and really show everyone that she wants it. With this golden record, I think she will really sell her voice, and make America vote for her. I just really wanna hear her sing this song, and definitely, America would love her rendition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cjV5dTaE6U

WHAT'S ON IDOL THIS WEEK?
Lauren Alaina will be perfrming on the results night, and as mentioned by Seacrest, Mary J. Blige will be the guest mentor of the finalists this week.

What do you think should the top 13 sing? Comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment